Recycle Cardboard Right

Cardboard must be empty, clean and dry when placed in recycling. Remove all the packing material from inside the box, then flatten to conserve space and ensure the boxes are sorted properly at the recycling facility. Also, boxes, paper and cardboard should be kept out of the rain and wet weather.

All corrugated cardboard, paper and boxes can be recycled including newspapers, magazines, junk mail, boxes, greeting cards, cereal boxes, phone books and clean pizza boxes. Place items empty and flattened in your curbside recycling.

The Solid Waste District hosts a Royal Oak Recycling Paper Retriever bin. The mixed paper recycling bin, located in our parking lot at 4750 East 131 Street in Garfield Heights, accepts corrugted cardboard, boxboard, mixed paper, shredded paper, junk mail, magazines and office paper.

Mixed paper recycling bins, typically found in school or municipal parking lots, nonprofits, places of worship and in the Cleveland Metroparks, accept flattened cardboard. Royal Oak Recycling (Paper Retriever) and River Valley Paper Company do not provide a list of their locations to the Solid Waste District. Check with your city service department to see if they have an up-to-date list of paper bins in your municipality.

See more about recycling paper and boxes.

Businesses can recycle cardboard through specialized companies. See the Business Locations list below.