Helpful Links & Resources
Businesses can take our annual recycling survey, find guidance for commercial properties, and learn about materials exchange and sustainable business practices.
The resources listed below provide information and assistance to businesses interested in sustainable business practices. Other organizations offer newsletters to assist in workplace sustainability.
To learn more about starting or improving recycling efforts in your workplace, call (216) 443-3732.
Annual Recycling Survey for Businesses
Did your business/organization recycle in 2022? Your recycling information is needed. Please complete the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District?s annual Business Recycling Survey. Take the survey.
Guidance for Multi-Family Housing
Apartment buildings are commercial properties. Generally, municipalities do not provide curbside recycling services to commercial properties including apartment buildings and other multi-family housing units. The responsibility of setting up a recycling program typically rests with property managers, property owners or the boards of condominium and homeowners associations.
We are pleased to present our newest publication for multi-family housing: Apartments & Condominiums: A Guide to Recycling and Composting for Multi-Family Housing download
Ohio Materials Marketplace
The Ohio Materials Marketplace aims to create a closed-loop, collaborative network of businesses, organizations and entrepreneurs where one organization?s hard-to-recycle wastes and by-products becomes another organization?s raw material. In addition to diverting waste from landfills, these recovery activities will generate significant cost savings, energy savings, and create new jobs and business opportunities.
How it works:
- Join. Businesses of any kind may join and individuals are not permitted to join by themselves. Along with the commercial and industrial sector, nonprofits, schools, colleges and universities may join as well. A recommendation and a code is required to join, which can be requested from Doreen Schreiber. Make a request.
- Browse to see what organizations want and as well as what they are posting. Items can be sold or given away. If you need assistance with OMM, including with setting up your account, send an email.
- Work with other members to give away, sell or acquire materials that would otherwise be discarded. Staff that manage the marketplace can help you complete transactions through the ?Talk to our Team? button on the bottom right of the members screen. Additionally, each transaction is recorded and environmental benefits are calculated.
The District teamed with the Ohio EPA to offer a presentation on February 10, 2021 about the Ohio Materials Marketplace. See a PDF of the slides or watch the video.
- Busch Systems Resource Center - simplify how you track your waste and recycling program
- Earth911 - a nationwide how and where to recycle
- Frontline Focus - sustainability and best practices leadership blog
- Glass Recycling Coalition
- Green City Blue Lake - sustainability center of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History
- Grounds to Grow On - recycle K-Cup pods at work
- Keep America Beautiful - end littering, improve recycling, beautify communities
- National Restaurant Association Conserve Program - sustainable business strategies for restaurants
- Ohio EPA Division of Materials and Waste Management - managing waste in accordance with regulations
- Plastic Film Recycling - how and where to recycle plastic film
- Recycle Grocery Plastics - rigid plastics recycling program
- Recycle Often, Recycle Right (Waste Management) - recycling basics
- Recycling at Work - national voluntary initiative challenging businesses, government agencies, schools, hospitals and other institutions to commit to increase workplace recycling by 10 percent
- Recycling Simplified (Republic Services) - recycling basics
- Sustainable Cleveland - living and growing as a sustainable city
- Sustainable Value Partners - integrating sustainability into your organization
- Terracycle - free programs that are funded by conscientious companies, as well as recycling solutions available for purchase, for almost every form of waste
- The Association of Plastic Recyclers
- U.S. Zero Waste Business Council - define, pursue and achieve zero waste goals
Online Magazines & Newsletters
- Biocycle - articles on composting, renewable energy and organics recycling
- Environmental Leader - news and best practices for commercial & industrial environmental professionals
- Recycle Often, Recycle Right - recycling basics from Waste Management
- Recycling Simplified - recycling basics from Republic Services
- Sustainability - advancing opportunities at the intersection of business, technology and sustainability
- Waste360 - information, event, commerce and education provider to the solid waste, recycling, organics and sustainable communities
- Waste Advantage Magazine - providing news and information about the waste & recycling industry
- Waste Dive - analysis on the latest happenings in the waste industry
- Waste Today Magazine - collection and transfer news, organics, recycling, conversion technologies, waste to energy, landfill management, special and hazardous waste, markets and contracting news, mergers and acquisitions
- Conscious Capitalism by John Mackey and Raj Sisodia
- Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough
- Fostering Sustainable Behavior by Doug Mackenzie Mohr
- Green to Gold by Daniel Esty and Andrew Winston
- The Zero Waste Solution by Paul Connett