Recycling Ambassador Program
Our Master Recycler and Recycling Ambassador programs are an advanced learning, recycling education and training opportunity for adults.
This program offers participants an in-depth study of solid waste management including waste reduction, composting and recycling.
Recycling Ambassador Program
A Recycling Ambassador is a Cuyahoga County resident who is passionate about reducing waste, recycling and composting.
Recycling Ambassadors are volunteers trained by the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District (aka. Cuyahoga Recycles) to work in their communities to help improve recycling by serving as their neighborhood ‘subject matter expert’ on recycling.
Recycling Ambassadors meet, learn and work with other like-minded people to help make their communities cleaner, greener places to live. Participants will receive a small yard sign, a Recycling Ambassador t-shirt and ongoing support from the staff of the Solid Waste District.
What Does a Recycling Ambassador Do?
- Answers questions as a subject matter expert about recycling and composting
- Provides tips on ways to reduce waste, especially plastic waste
- Shares Cuyahoga Recycles social media posts, newsletters and other resources
- Distributes Cuyahoga Recycles literature to neighbors
- Makes short presentations to a neighborhood association or has a presence at block parties
- Attends relevant city council meetings
- Helps start or improve a recycling program at work, school, a place of worship, etc.
- Helps neighbors set up a compost pile or bin
- Creates a community swap event such as a freecycle event or a Halloween costume swap
How Does the Recycling Ambassador Program Work?
- Participate in the Recycling Ambassador Course. The course, offered 3 - 4 times a year, consists of four 2-hour classes, held virtually via Zoom. To register, complete the application (download) and return it to Carin Miller.
- Plan and implement your Recycling Ambassador activities and projects.
- Stay up to date by attending quarterly meetings featuring guest speakers and field trips to local recycling and reuse organizations.
- Keep in touch and tell us how it's going. We are here to help you!
- Classes are held virtually in the evenings on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
- Course fee of $35.
- Up to 20 students per session.
- Taught by Solid Waste District staff members.
There are no sessions scheduled at this time. There may be a class in early 2023.
For more details about the Recycling Ambassador program, contact our education specialist at (216) 443-3731 or send an email.
Our Program Graduates
Congratulations to our program graduates! We are pleased to announce that individuals from the following communities are Certified Master Recyclers and Recycling Ambassadors in Cuyahoga County.
This adult education and training program from the Solid Waste District has been offered since 2013. If you would like to be connected with a trained Master Recycler/Recycling Amassador in your community, send an email.
- Bay Village
- Broadview Heights
- Brook Park
- Chagrin Falls
- Cleveland Heights
- Fairview Park
- Garfield Heights
- Highland Heights
- Highland Hills
- Maple Heights
- Mayfield Village
- Middleburg Heights
- Pepper Pike
- Rocky River
- Shaker Heights
- University Heights
Master Recycler Program
* This program is on hiatus. Certification coursework is not offered at this time.*
Master Recycler of Cuyahoga County is a certification training program with focus on service learning and the theme of reduce, reuse, recycle.
The Master Recycler program offers participants an in-depth study of solid waste management including waste reduction, composting and recycling. Previously, this level of knowledge could only be achieved by working in the solid waste industry. This program creates advocates for recycling that can apply their expanded knowledge to affect habits at home, work and in the community.
Candidate interviews and class selection takes place during the summer months and coursework begins every year in August or September.
The traditional Master Recycler Program will not take place in 2023.